It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to World Formula
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:28 pm 

Hi Folks,

I'm new to Karting and 4 stroke engine and recently got an older Rocket kart with WF engine.

My noob questions:
1. Judging from the head casting, it looks like the block is from is from Gen 5, but not sure about the internal. It also looks like it has PVL system.

The valve cover though indicate that it is gen 1.

2. What is the idle RPM and at what temp?
2. I started the engine cold with choke close, but when it got warm (223F or so) it stalls when I open the choke. Is this normal?
3. I was adjusting the idle mixture screw and it seems like the highest RPM I can get is about 200-300 RPM from the RPM at specified idle speed. Is this normal or should I see a bigger jump.
4. What is this box for, If this making a connection to the switch the engine won't start at all but if I disconnected from switch the engine starts right away every time. Is this because I have PVL?
5. I just rebuild the brakes but I think I have leaky master cyclinder. Anyone has spare master cylinder that I can buy?

Here is the clip of engine running.

https://youtu.be/ChhECR8LN3k

Thank you for you guys help.

Post subject: Re: New to World Formula
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:38 am 

Kart #: 74
Chassis: Birel
Class: World Formula
Club: PKA
Sounds to me like you have some plugged jets. Take off the float bowl and check the jets (2) to make sure that they aren't plugged.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:33 pm 

bzflagace wrote:
Sounds to me like you have some plugged jets. Take off the float bowl and check the jets (2) to make sure that they aren't plugged.

Cheers,

Are you referring to question #2 about stalling when choke is open?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:21 am 

Your motor started as a GEN 1 but was likely converted. I can't tell the Generation of the Block by your pics, determining the generation requires visual of the front and back of the block. The number of ribs and a couple other markings are the determination.

The box is the Generation 1 rev-limiter. It is no loner functional/needed with the PVL Upgrade.

You should be able to adjust the idle from about 1000 rpms to about 3000 rpms with the idle adjustment screw. However, the air bleed screw may be way out of adjustment affecting idle performance. Your idle jet in the float bowl may also be plugged, VERY common, especially with an engine that has been stored for some time.

As for the choke, there are three positions, Full choke, partial, and off. Pushed all the way DOWN is the off position. The W/F uses full choke for initial starting/getting fuel to the float bowl. Almost immediately after starting, the choke should be moved to the partial position, and then after about 30-seconds it should run with no choke with an idle at about 2000 rpms.

Hatch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:43 pm 

What is the best gearing for Pat's Acres and Mac for this WF kart?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:42 pm 

Kart #: 8
Chassis: Rocket RK2-125
Class: CR125/Shifter
It Depends on what chain/sprocket your running....if it has a stamp on the chain somewhere it will read either #35 or #219. We can help once you determine what you have. There is a lot to learn so be patient and just ask as you go. I would also ask if this WF has a starter on it? Even if it does not...the flywheel has a plastic starter gear attached to it....replace it.... if it breaks it can take out your coil. It is not expensive but they get brittle over time.....Edit: overlooked the pic and vid...looks like yours is not there...either way there used to be a rule that the ring gear had to be there...not sure anymore...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:22 pm 

kkeller14k wrote:
It Depends on what chain/sprocket your running....if it has a stamp on the chain somewhere it will read either #35 or #219. We can help once you determine what you have. There is a lot to learn so be patient and just ask as you go. I would also ask if this WF has a starter on it? Even if it does not...the flywheel has a plastic starter gear attached to it....replace it.... if it breaks it can take out your coil. It is not expensive but they get brittle over time.....Edit: overlooked the pic and vid...looks like yours is not there...either way there used to be a rule that the ring gear had to be there...not sure anymore...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My output sprocket is 71 with 16 on the clutch. Talking to folks, this is a little too much. I'll see what it does when I go for practice at PARC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:37 pm 

What chain do you have? ....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:47 am 

kkeller14k wrote:
What chain do you have? ....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:52 pm 

I recall running a 4.15 - 4.25ish gear ratio at Pat's? 4.25 would be 16 & 68 gears, 4.125 = 16/66. If you can't get 219 gears that small then get a bigger sprocket (17/72 = 4.24)

Alan Moody #44 WildKart Briggs Jr1 Animal
Ryan Moody #3 Swiss Hutless Briggs Jr1 Animal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:42 am 

OK...... now that is over. Here is what I can tell you...GOOGLE it!.... cutpriceracing has a great explanation on it...a lot of peeps run the #35 but I ran a #219 myself....It had a lot to do with the rev limiter....and that's another story. Just remember (1) tooth can make a difference how it works....oh and what direction they run at Mac...when you get that chance...Pats is one way always....Mac is another story.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:18 am 

MrMoody wrote:
I recall running a 4.15 - 4.25ish gear ratio at Pat's? 4.25 would be 16 & 68 gears, 4.125 = 16/66. If you can't get 219 gears that small then get a bigger sprocket (17/72 = 4.24)

That's exactly what I'll do on mine. I have 64-71 sprocket. With 71 and my weight class, it seems like it is too much as I go thru the power band too quick. 64 is too slow, 68 is just right I think. Once I got my Mychron transmitter and seat time,I'll know better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:43 pm 

Kart #: 28
Chassis: Arrow
Class: WF Heavy
Welcome to World Formula. It is a good group of racers who are willing to help out, answer questions and offer an occasional bit of advice. Mr. Keller is correct, there are a lot of variables that will impact your gear ratio choice. Weather, track conditions, etc. I checked my notes from the past two years and show that for Pat's my final drive ratio ranged from 4.11 to 4.22. For MAC it ranged from 3.83 to 4.00. I always have my starting ratio for each track and then make changes through the day as needed. Suffering from short and long term memory loss I keep notes of my starting point and all changes for each session. It helps later on if you get too far off the set up. Good luck, looking forward to meeting you. Michael #28 WF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:08 pm 

Cheap Thrills wrote:
Welcome to World Formula. It is a good group of racers who are willing to help out, answer questions and offer an occasional bit of advice. Mr. Keller is correct, there are a lot of variables that will impact your gear ratio choice. Weather, track conditions, etc. I checked my notes from the past two years and show that for Pat's my final drive ratio ranged from 4.11 to 4.22. For MAC it ranged from 3.83 to 4.00. I always have my starting ratio for each track and then make changes through the day as needed. Suffering from short and long term memory loss I keep notes of my starting point and all changes for each session. It helps later on if you get too far off the set up. Good luck, looking forward to meeting you. Michael #28 WF

look forward for the April 17th race! My kart is old and this is my first time, so I will need to learn the rope for sure. I'll be trying out either Senior or Master (40 and above).

So far I've done:
1. Clean the carbs, adjust the float, and replaced gaskets.
2. Replaced all fuel line and added by pass.
3. Replaced throttle cable.
4. Replaced exhaust and valve cover gasket.
5. Adjust the valve clearance.
6. Oil Changed.
7. Rebuilt Master Cylinder and calipers.
8. Updated the engine cover and kill switch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:20 am 

Your success is what makes this the sport what it is...if no body comes to play then why do it? All of these people here are good on their word and you to.... will become part of a culture...a race family and you won't find a better competitive sport than this....lets get you on the track and out there doing seat time. I have had a rocket WF so if you have questions...just ask...BTY...we need to get you a set of pills for your front end and then we will teach you how to align it....but that's another curve to visit...cusoon.

Last edited by kkeller14k on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.