gokarter.com

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need KT 100 and Hortsman Nytro clutch advice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:23 pm 

I have recently purchased an older KT100 kart on a macminarelli. It has a "wet" Hortsman Nytro clutch on it.

My question is; Is there a better clutch I should get for this Kart? My buddy tells me the hortsman Nytro is or was a very good clutch which he would definitely know, but I am really interested in updating this Kart and wondering where I should start? The Nytro wet clutch seems to be very high maintanence so far..

I don't know much about Karting in general yet, but I've read a bit about direct drive and dry clutches for these kinds of Karts. The year on the dry clutches seem to all be fairly recent, so I am wondering if the dry clutch is just the way to go these days, or is it just preference only between the dry and wet clutches?
Does it perform alot better? Whats the difference on the track? Would there be alot of changes I would have to make to my set up if I went to a dry clutch, or would I simply slip off the old hortsman Nytro and slip on the new dry clutch and be ready to go (basically)?

What manufacturers should I look into if I was to make this switch?

Thanks for reading and the help..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need KT 100 and Hortsman Nytro clutch advice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:25 pm 

Does the motor have a can muffler or a pipe (expansion camber)? If it's a can how many holes are in it and are they in the back or around the outside? This matters on clutch recomendations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:22 pm 

Generally it has a 4 hole Can on it. The holes are drilled next to one another, and I believe all face downward when its installed.

Currently though, I have a 90 degree pipe (or expansion chamber) on it instead for added power while I play around at Pat's and McMinnville.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:25 pm 

I asked because the stall speed would bve higher with the pipe. And I wouldn't recomend the dry clutch with the pipe. How many disc's are in the clutch you have now? 1,2 or 3?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:07 am 

Larry
Most all of the clutches will need maintenance. Best is to purchase a large bottle fo clutch fluid and change out the fluid at least once everyday of practice or when you take the kart out. If you spin out out alot or if you doing alot of stopping and starting. Change the fluid once every couple of sessions. Also while it will not be faster drop the stall speed down some to around 8200rpm or lower. It will help in the longevitiy of the clutch.
Dry clutch maint. it more labor intensive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:52 am 

kartrcr & RBKart

thanks for the info.

My impression was the dry clutch needed very little attention, aside from adjusting stall speeds when needed. Where as the wet clutch seems to be a mechanism that needs constant attention or is very tempermental. So my fear is, if I run 10 laps out at mcminnville and fail to check the clutch oil level or it drops down too low while im out there and I don't realize it, the wet clutch is so sensitive that I could burn it up in just a matter of 1 or 2 laps. This just seems to be an unnecessary risk to take IF these dry clutches were designed to improve the "old clutch system" (i.e wet clutch). I don't know if these statements or concerns are true/valid, thats just my rookie opinion.

thanks again.. Maybe I'll take my clutch fund and put it towards something more critical or important, like stickers or a really cool body suit.. jk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:25 pm 

If the wet clutch does not have a leak and the stall speed is correct there is no way it will loose fluid in 10 laps. What stall speed are you running now? do you know how to adjust it? The Horstman web site has user manuals or instuctions and tips thata might help you. A wet clutch with the correct set up should be a very reliable product, but if you abuse it and it is not set up right it will die a quick death.

Profile E-mail