It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New to World Formula
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:03 pm 

Club: PKA
Genes1s wrote:
Questions:
1. For the upcoming OSKCS WF Senior Class, I saw that we need MG Red tires. Can you have 11X7.1 instead of 11X6 rear tires?
2. Where can I get the non methanol gas?
3. How do you guys deal with can't feel your hand anymore after 40 laps? My knee was also flopping around due to the cornering force, any trick? yoga, stretching, duct tapes?

1. The rule should be 4.6 front and 6.0 rear for WF (though it's not indicated in the OSKCS rule book)
2. Try finding stations on this site: http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OR
3. Sometimes gripping the wheel too hard will result in sore, or numb hands. This is common when starting out in any racing as you're usually tense and subconsciously gripping tightly. Try wiggling your fingers when going down the straight, it will at least remind you that you need to loosen the grip. As you get more comfortable you'll be able to drive with a looser grip.

I've done a racing school and many track days in a car and the instructors always tell you to loosen your grip, so I got pretty good at it. Then when I started racing karts I forgot all about it and started getting tingling in my hands towards the end of the races. I had to remind myself to not grip so tightly.

I used to bash my knee around until I got some heel rests. They helped me a lot with that. Something like these :
http://www.fastech-racing.com/kart-mast ... black.html
or these
http://www.fastech-racing.com/kg-plasti ... -pair.html

Alan Moody #44 WildKart Briggs Jr1 Animal
Ryan Moody #3 Swiss Hutless Briggs Jr1 Animal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:58 pm 

What is the fast lap for WF at Pat's acres on short track?

Today was our second practice at Pat's. I was mostly chasing my son around in the morning then was on my own afterward.
After about 40 laps of running strong, my engine just quit. I felt it under power a little bit then few seconds later it just went dead with no noise nothing go bang. Engine temp was 250-280 all day on 70 F ambient. Oil is Red Line had 3 hours on it since it was replaced.

It looked like oil had been leaking slowly from underside of the engine. I have not had a chance to trace it down yet, but I can't turn the crank, so its probably done.
Could it be the crankcase cover gasket or bolt got loosen due to vibration? I'll tear it apart as soon as I'm back in town but this isn't looking good...it was an expensive morning!

Rebuild or get a new one?

Last edited by Genes1s on Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:25 am 

Kart #: 74
Chassis: Birel
Class: World Formula
Sorry to hear that. Getting a stuck piston from lack of oil is unfortunately something many of us have experienced. The leaking side cover can also be a common cause.

As for what to do next. Your motor can be salvaged. It was in need of a rebuild pretty bad from the sounds of it at the last race. Rebuilding it will still be cheaper than a new motor. Give CMC a call and they can get you all fixed up.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:15 pm 

bzflagace wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Getting a stuck piston from lack of oil is unfortunately something many of us have experienced. The leaking side cover can also be a common cause.

As for what to do next. Your motor can be salvaged. It was in need of a rebuild pretty bad from the sounds of it at the last race. Rebuilding it will still be cheaper than a new motor. Give CMC a call and they can get you all fixed up.

Cheers,

Got new rod, crank, bolts, and gasket from CMC and refreshed the bottom end this weekend. I'll miss the race tomorrow and after trying 2 strokes TAG, I'm looking to get one.

Learned a bunch about rebuilding this engine which was a lot of fun in it self!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:53 pm 

So, I have a couple of few hours of practice runs at PARC by now and had improved and learned a ton during those times about driving techniques and kart setups but lately it seems like my time isn't improving. Tried different lines, different braking techniques, different chassis setups, and none would improve my lap time. The kart seemed to respond well, I wasn't sliding around like I used to and the engine was freely to rev (not binding) on the exit corner. I think I'm loosing time in turn 1 and 12 for sure since I always messed those 2 corners up big time.

It would be nice to be able to practice with someone who knows what they are doing as I think it is more of a driver problem than a kart problem.

Sold the Rocket chassis and get a used Top Kart chassis instead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:52 pm 

Kart #: 174 & 14
Class: WF & CR125
The fastest way to learn is to come to the races and race in a big pack.