It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PARTICIPATION IN SCCA ROSE CUP RACES
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:36 am 

Kart #: 77
Chassis: MBA
Class: TagE/FKE-1
Club: PKA
Most of the interested folks have contacted me by PM as requested in previous posts. In the interest of saving time now that the entry date is getting close, please do the following. Sending a PM, making a call or sending an email would be much appreciated.

Please send me your full contact info:
Name
Address
City
State

Telephone number (s)

Email

Emergency Contact person and telephone number

Pit space needed (example-5 ft x 6 ft) or the actual space without tow or personal vehicle.

Thank you very much for the entry.

John Sullivan
j2sullivan@comcast.net
503 737 9939 mobile

Mail address
5263 NE Corral Ct.
Hillsboro, OR 97124

You can load in on Friday if desired
You can load out on Sunday after the run, (might have to wait until the main event at the SCCA event is over - less than an hour after we run)
You can leave equip overnite

June 7 I have to have entry info and $$$$
You can choose among the pits we are assigned - behind the grandstand, west of the track office, between the snack bar and ProDrive.

There will NOT be any practice time on either day. You will need to run'em as you brung 'em. Try to tune and gear based on past experience and after Sunday's run you can adjust for the the Rose Festival Road Race on June 19th at PIR.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:34 am 

I will be at the MAC track this weekend. If anyone wishes to sign up at the track, please get in touch with me.
Thanks
John Sullivan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:41 pm 

Activity and entries are really picking up for the event. Looks like we will have a very good count of karts and drivers.

Current Tally:

3 Rotax Masters
3 Rotax TagE
3 125 Moto shifter
3 Superkart
8 80cc laydown
3 125cc laydown
1 100cc laydown
1 WF

Approx 24 at this time and THERE IS STILL ROOM FOR MORE

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:28 pm 

PTTM wrote:
Activity and entries are really picking up for the event. Looks like we will have a very good count of karts and drivers.

Current Tally:

3 Rotax Masters
3 Rotax TagE
3 125 Moto shifter
3 Superkart
8 80cc laydown
3 125cc laydown
1 100cc laydown
1 WF

Approx 24 at this time and THERE IS STILL ROOM FOR MORE

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

I will be at the MAC track on Saturday. Those that wish to sign up then may do so. Thanks and see you all there.
John Sullivan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 am 

There have been a couple more WF runners added to the above list. If you still want to attend the race this coming weekend, please get in touch with me TODAY. I have to turn in the list of drivers and pit workers(friends, workers, wife, etc.) this week. There will probably be some changes in the list, so any that have already signed up, please reference the driver when picking up the pit pass at the SCCA trailer.
Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you.
John Sullivan
503 737 9939 mobile
j2sullivan@comcast.net

JUST CHECKED THE WEATHER FORECAST FOR THIS WEEKEND. SATURDAY AND SUNDAY 78 DEGREES WITH SUNSHINE BOTH DAYS. WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND FOR RUNNING AT THE SCCA EVENT.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:28 pm 

For all of the folks that have been trying to reach me today and were not successful, I will be able to extend the entry date to TUESDAY - JUNE 8 2010. My phone has been very busy today and some of the time I was in a location that did not have cell reception. I will be heading to Seattle on Wednesday for a 2 PM - thru 4 PM meeting. I will be available while on the road via my cell and wireless headset. Please call and let me know your request and status. Thanks to all of you who have registered so far and also to those that contact me between now and late evening Tuesday.

John Sullivan
503 737 9939 mobile

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:25 pm 

Latest weather forecast is for 83 degrees and sunshine on Saturday and then 88 degrees and sunshine on Sunday. What great weather for racing and watching the others run. Looking forward to seeing all that have signed up and having a great time.

THIS IS YOUR LAST OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN THE REST OF US IN PROMOTING OUR SPORT IN FRONT OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE. GET IN TOUCH WITH ME AND COME ON OUT TO RUN AT PIR.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:19 pm 

Well folks, it is now the time to put on the show for the general public that will be attending the SCCA Rose Cup race this weekend. The weather could not be any better with mid 80's and SUN, SUN, SUN, SUN, SUN. Come out on to PIR and watch the show on both days. Our kart drivers will be running on Saturday at approx. 12:30 PM and then again on Sunday around 2:30 PM. In addition to our karts, the SCCA folks will be putting on a great event for the sport cars, open wheel cars and the Rose Cup event. We have about 25 karts and drivers that have entered and should be a great performance by them. Thanks to all that did enter, I will be at the track between 10 AM and Noon to meet those that are arriving early.

If anyone has any questions about the event, please call me.
John Sullivan
503 737 9989

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:33 pm 

The weekend is over, the SCCA Rose Cup event is over, the people have gone home, BUT the kart racers that attended and ran will remember that they were the first karters of the current generation to participate in the Rose Cup, forever.

The weather was perfect. The crowds were great. The Rose Festival and SCCA folks were great to know and also to work with. The karters that attended put on a great show for the crowd and I believe made a terrific impression on all. Many many thanks to those drivers that attended and put on a marvelous show for the public. This was a first time show and many lessons were learned about how to work with the SCCA folks. I do believe if we get a chance to do this again next year, it will run much smoother.

Thanks to those that attended and assisted with the operation of the kart side of the event. Ryan Kiste and David Hunter for getting the cones out and back up on Saturday. Dennis Harrold for starting coordination. Ryan again for being there on Sunday and doing whatever needed to be done. With Steve Birchard's experience and contacts at the track with the SCCA operations crew, we were able to smoothly get many problems solved even before I knew that it could be a problem. Thanks again Steve for stepping up to assist. Ray Knight was our announcer for both days and his knowledge of classes and most of the racers enabled the public to be educated about our drivers and the various classes of karts. The Dyer flyers for bringing the fleet and some new people to our sport.

We had an ideal pit location and attracted a great number of people who really asked good questions about karting and how to get involved. Many questions were also asked by the car drivers that ran in the SCCA event. There were also a number of former karters who stopped by and expressed an interest in returning. The time and effort that PKA put into this event should return tenfold with new and previous karters getting involved in our sport. All in all it was a great weekend, great fun, great people and I had a great time working on the event.

Thank you all again for the great attendance and show. I really hope we get the opportunity to do this again next year. If so, we need to make sure that the weekend is kept open on the Gold Cup, PKA and OSKCS schedules.
John Sullivan

Last edited by PTTM on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:41 am 

Heard the Rose Cup karting participation was a great success. Kudos to J. Sullivan.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:32 am 

First of all many thanks to John Sullivan for organizing the Rose Cup exhibition, to Steve Bircher for liaison with the SCCA corner crews, to Ryan Kiste for doing anything that needed doing operationally, to David Hunter for helping and to Ray Knight who did a great job as usual on the microphone.

All of the participants had a great time and the weather was spot on.

However John, I have to correct you about this being the first kart exhibition at the Rose Cups. Back in the early 70s I organized one or two of them when the Rose Cups were a Trans-Am event. I think I hold the distinction of being the only driver to blow two engines in less than three hundred feet on the start before a crowd of thousands. I was in my B-Open dual. As I watched my clutch bounce across the track, with the end of my crank and felt the second engine size under the additional load, I thought that this probably wasn't the publicity I was hoping for. At the time I handled the communications equipment for all events at PIR, sports cars, motorcycles and karts. This gave me access to the SCCA hierarchy.

Having said that there has been a long drought without the great publicity that you got us this week end and I am ecstatic that you made the efforts to start this up again.
Thanks again for all that you did. I hope we are back next year. :flag: :flag: :D :D :D :D :D :corona: :corona: :corona:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:20 pm 

To the brothers Holmboe thank you. To Rick, please note the edit change and now YOU have the distinction of being in both editions.

To all, it was a great time working on getting this done. I stopped by the Rose Festival office this morning to make the final coordination for them for this next weekend Rose Festival Road Race at PIR. They seemed to be very happy with the way that our drivers presented our sport and also with the performance/show on the track.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:18 pm 

Here is link for a little bit of video shot from the stands watching the chicane. Not a lot of time and the whole race was not on the video, but it is an angle that most have not seen before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN4dYmW_WZ4

Profile E-mail